Shiny New eGalleys :)


I finally got a couple of book requests approved on Netgalley, and I thought I'd share!

Right now I'm reading Skin by Donna Jo Napoli. I requested this book because I've read Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale by the same author; I enjoyed her spin on Irish legends and I was excited to see what she would do in a more contemporary novel. The basic storyline is that Sep wakes up one morning with white lips. Then white patches start appearing all over her body. She has to deal with the high school rumor mill and her own insecurities in order to learn to deal with her new body. At first I thought it was one of those books where everything is normal except for one unexplained supernatural/strange/quasi-magical occurence, but it turns out there is nothing supernatural or quasi-magical about it. I feel like it brings up interesting issues  about appearances and self-worth/identity, but I'll have to read the rest of the book before I can say more about it.

The other book I got approved is Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This book is a bit more down my alley (after all, I'm a sci-fi and dystopian nut), and I'm really excited to start reading. I have heard many good things about this book, namely that it is complex and dark, and that the characters and the world are very well fleshed-out. This one is about Darrow, a young man in the lowest (Red) caste, who becomes part of a revolution after his wife is executed by the oppressive and sinister government. I've heard comparisons to The Hunger Games, 1984, and Star Wars, all of which I like, so this should be fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up