TTT: Top Book Recs I haven't talked about enough



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Books I recommend but Haven't said much about recently

If you have been following my blog semi-regularly and you didn't know I was a Sanderson fan, I'm impressed! I feel like nearly every TTT of mine involves a Sanderson book in some way shape or form.

Another series I love to death and push on everyone I know is the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. It's freaking fantastic, and I NEED BOOK FOUR LIKE I NEED TO BREATHE. I really hope it actually gets published this year...

So it comes as no surprise that my "Books to recommend" list is going to be full of Sanderson and Lynch.

But there are some other awesome books I highly recommend, so here is my attempt at recommending a wide variety of books for you genre-fiction lovers :)

 6604209

Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson
genre: Fantasy
Why: This is the backbone of the cosmere, so if you want to get introduced to Sanderson (or you just want to read an awesome fantasy series that will BLOW YOUR MIND more than you thought possible), this is where to start!
 127455

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
genre: Fantasy
Why: Silver-tongued con men in a fantasy world inspired by rennaissance Italy. Need I say more? This book is hilarious, brutal, endearing, and overall one of the best fantasy books I've ever read.
 18188605

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Genre: historical fiction
Why: Do you enjoy books about friendship? This has one of the best friendships I've ever read about and the book made my heart ache in the best way possible. Highly recommend the audiobook, but you'll probably bawl.
 The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Genre: historical fiction, YA
Why: This is one of my favorite WWII stories, told through the eyes of a little girl whose family embodies the every-day bravery that saved so many lives in such a dark time. Plus it's narrated by Death himself. 
 13047567
Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness
genre: Science fiction, YA
Why: One of the most poignant, original, and terrifying science fiction stories I've ever read. These books are emotional roller-coasters but so, so worth it. Again, I highly recommend the audio because Nick Podehl is amazing, but the print copy is also great because you can see how well fonts were used to convey different thoughts and the Noise. You'll know what I mean when you read it :)
 6597651
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
genre: science fiction, dystopia
Why: I know this one isn't for everyone, because it starts out super dry and full of engineering stuff, but it ends up being a story about broken people trying to make sense of their role in their brutal world. It's dark but very empowering, in the end.
 13538873
Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
genre: contemporary, mystery (sort of)
Why: This quirky book is about technology and books and cults and strange people and secrets, but it's mostly just a love letter to words, typefaces, and bookstores. It's a lot of fun!
 1914973
Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French
genre: mystery, psychological thriller
Why: Mysteries are often very formulaic and cliche, and feature flat characters as the detective + the detective's handy assistant. Not these! They each focus on a different person on the Dublin Murder squad, going deep into the psychology and personalities of each detective. It's almost as if the mystery takes second place to the characters and how their past lives influence their present actions.
 18075234
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
genre: contemporary, YA
Why: This is one of the most honest and compassionate portrayals of living with mental illness I've ever read. This is the kind of book that can change lives, making people more aware of mental health issues and what they can do to help the people they love.
 1217100
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
genre: contemporary, YA
Why: Like Challenger deep, this book deals with a heavy issue but manages to make the book more about what you can do to make a difference or show your support. 

blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up