Top Ten Tuesday 3




Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's theme: 
Top Ten Book Turn-Offs
  1. Romance novels - I don't mind a little romance in a story now and then - after all, everyone deserves a chance at love - but I will not read a book that has romance/erotica as the main plot. If I see two people making out on the cover of a book, I am definitely not picking it up!
  2. zombieeeeeees - I don't mind books that say they are about zombies and are about zombies. What bugs me is when there is absolutely no indication of the undead playing a part in the story and then someone who's dead magically comes back to life or was never dead in the first place. DEAD PEOPLE DON'T COME BACK TO LIFE. (yeah, pet peeve of mine. cough cough Rory Pond...)
  3. whining/self-pitying characters - some characters have baggage, but they struggle with it and deal with it and move on. Other characters think they have the worst life under the sun and mope and feel sorry for themselves when really their situation isn't so bad. I don't usually finish books that have self-absorbed and helpless main characters, although on occasion one such character will grow out of this annoying phase and then I will keep reading. 
  4. Series endings that aren't series endings - I hate when a series is a planned trilogy and then suddenly becomes a series with more books. Ahem hem Mortal Instruments. Although something similar happened with Eragon, it wasn't as annoying because it was just splitting the third book into two volumes, and I'd rather not read a 1,500 book.
  5. Prom dress covers - come on, you know what I'm talking about. There are so many books that have beautiful girls in beautiful dresses on the cover, and the story has nothing to do with it! I usually won't look twice at a book with a prom dress cover, unless someone recommends it to me and I bother to read the blurb.
Those are all the annoyances I can think of at the moment, although I'm sure there are more!



blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. I like zombies, but I totally agree with the rest! I'm not a fan of romance either. I hate self-absorbed and whiny characters.

    My Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica@a GREAT readOctober 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

    Heehee! The zombies comment is funny! Actually saw another person complain about this too. For me though, I've grown accustomed to not believing someone is dead and gone just because they were killed! I read paranormal books, so just because they died doesn't mean they are dead. At least, not usually!

    Until that series is over or unless the author says otherwise or there is an indication that no one is coming back from the dead, then I believe anything is possible!

    Besides when I thought one character was dead in book 3 of a series I was to lose my cool, but luckily he came back a few chapters later having not been dead at all!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that book by chance Clockwork Princess? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica@a GREAT readOctober 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

    Not sure what book the other person was talking about. But for me, the book I was talking about was the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh ok, because Clockwork Princess is also a third book of a series where someone "dies." I will say no more so people who haven't read it don't murder me for spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind the kissing covers...it's the ones with half naked people in compromising positions that I tend not to pick up. But AMEN on the self-pitying characters!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up