Review: The Rithmatist


17371024Title: The Rithmatist
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Genre: Fantasy, children's/middle grade

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
The Rithmatist, Brandon Sanderson's New York Times bestselling epic teen adventure is now available in paperback.
More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles.
As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students learn the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing—kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery—one that will change Rithmatics—and their world—forever.
A New York Times Book Review Notable Children's Book of 2013


Brandon Sanderson is so good at coming up with crazy ideas that sound ridiculous but the more you think about them, the more sense they make. Take the premise of The Rithmatist: Certain members of the population have a skill of making their chalk drawings come to life, and they duel each other as practice for dueling the wild Chalklings that threaten to destroy human civilization. At first you might roll your eyes (seriously? How could chalk drawings be scary?), but by the end of the book I promise you'll be sold.

Even if this is a children's/MG book, it has all the trademarks of Sanderson books that I have come to love. The great thing is that even if the audience and characters are younger, there is no dumbing down or resorting to cliches. Sanderson still manages to surprise you with his brilliant story-telling and world-building, which I find impressive since a lot of authors make their children's books a "lite" version of their other books. The world-building especially is fantastic, since it takes our familiar world and adds in just a few elements that change things subtly without being too obtrusive.

I loved that Joel is not a rithmatist himself but that he admires and really wanted to become one. He contrasts so much with Melody, who is from a family of Rithmatists but is useless at drawing her chalk figures properly. Together with the endearing Professor Fitch, these kids try and solve the mystery of who is targeting and harming the schoolchildren, and why. You would think that a 20-something reading a children's book would be able to guess the ending of the mystery, but nope! Either I've just lost it, or Sanderson is brilliant (Let's be real, we already know the second of those is true).

I highly recommend this for Sanderson fans as well as fans of fantasy looking for something less dense than the usual thousand page tomes. I hesitate to call it "lighter" because this book is quite dark for a children's book, but it is also endearing and humorous and wonderful as well.

 blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. I've owned a copy of this book since it came out but it's one of the Sanderson books I haven't gotten around to! I just know I'll love it though, and reading your thoughts on it here just convinced me even further! The world-building sounds up to the usual Sanderson standards and the premise and characters seem cool and engaging too! Thanks for the lovely review Kritiki^^ glad you loved this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey, I'm so glad you loved this! I freaking love that the US is an archipelago, such a fun extra touch to add to the awesome magic system :D. Sanderson is definitely brilliant, I didn't guess that ending either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! I wasn't expecting a children's book to have me so emotionally invested because I'm so used to all the epic fantasy with the wars and the heros and the end of the world situations, but this was just as epic and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! At first I was like "why are the states just spelled funny? that's annoying." And then once I realized it was an archipelago, I was mindblown! Everything about this book was just so clever and unique. I really enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up