Review: Clockwork Princess


Title: Clockwork Princess
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Historical fiction, YA, steampunk, fantasy

Rating: 4.5/5



This was a very satisfying end to the series. Everything I enjoyed about the first two books was still there in this one, and the characters grew on me more and more as the series progressed. I loved the Victorian setting and the love and loyalty all the characters had for one another. It's rare that all the characters treat one another with such compassion and respect, and I was moved by how much people were willing to sacrifice for people they loved. Although Tessa, Will, and Jem were wonderful, I felt like the minor characters were the stars of the show. I got to see a lot more of Charlotte and Henry, Gabriel, Gideon, Magnus, and Cecily.

I really appreciated how the focus of the novel was friendship and family. Although Tessa and her little love triangle was a big part of the series, I felt like the friendship between the three was more important, especially the parabatai bond between Will and Jem. Both the guys loved each other to death, and that made this love triangle work - it wasn't just two completely different guys who hated each other/avoided each other/were jealous of each other fighting over a girl. Charlotte and Henry's relationship was adorable, and I loved Henry's well-intentioned but often mishap-inducing inventions. [Show spoiler]. I thought Gideon's scone incident was the sweetest thing ever, and Gideon and Gabriel's letters made me laugh out loud. There were just so many moments in this book where I'd just smile to myself because someone just did something remarkably endearing. I want to hug all these characters!

The reason I didn't give this book five full stars was that I felt like it focused a bit too much on personal lives and not so much the big picture. Don't get me wrong - I loved the little moments and the relationships and dynamics between each of the characters , but I wish there had been a bit more urgency throughout the book. I felt like Mortmain disappeared for half the book, and then suddenly it was giant predicament that cannot possibly be solved except for the giant realization that someone in the group has superpowers! Well, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but that bit was hard to swallow.
I still can't decide if I like that ending or not. [Show spoiler].

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up