Top Ten Tuesday 12
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
- Historical fantasy - I love the Infernal Devices series, and recently read and loved The Golem and the Jinni. I just love the idea of introducing a little element of magic or mythology/folklore into our history - it makes the present a little more exciting too. I really want to read a book that mixes magic with ancient China or Elizabethan Europe.
- Something involving Arthurian legend - I'm not very familiar with the canon Arthurian legend (all my knowledge of King Arthur is from BBC's Merlin and a bunch of references to it in other movies/books). I want to read something more true to the original.
- A Melina Marchetta book - I love all her books to death because her character are all so realistic that I have to remind myself that they aren't real. I have cried for these characters and I have cheered for them, and I want more! I especially love her fantasy series because not only is it complex and character-centric, it portrays all its characters as whole people with flaws and triumphs instead of having the token beautiful temptress/virtuous whore/long lost evil brother/all that jazz. Please write more books soon, Ms. Marchetta!
- A "biopunk" novel - Paolo Bacigalupi is one of my favorite authors, and he considers his work to be "biopunk." I think Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam series fits the bill as well, and I loved that too! I guess I'm partial to that sort of thing because I'm a bioengineering major and it's cool to see what other people imagine I'll be doing fifty years from now :)
- A new epic fantasy series to get hooked on - I'm working my way through Dance with Dragons at the moment, and I will need another awesome fantasy series to read while I wait for George R.R. Martin to write the next two books! The Lies of Locke Lamora is on my radar, but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know!
6. Something set in Asia - I think Asia has such a rich and diverse cultural heritage that there is so much fodder for an excellent book - be it historical or fantasy or sci-fi or even just contemporary fiction. I want to explore the world through my books!