TTT: Top Ten Book turnoffs



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week's theme: Top Ten Book Turnoffs

Somehow I thought this list would be really easy for me, because there are so many blurbs that I read and then roll my eyes. There have been a few of audiobooks that I started recently but couldn't deal with after the first 20 pages so I just DNFed them. But despite all that it was actually pretty hard to remember exactly what kinds of things make me not want to pick up a book! 

Here we goooooo


1. Spoiled/selfish/vain main characters
(usually of the rich white girl variety)

9397967

2. Love triangles
(I did enjoy the Hunger Games but the love triangle thing was such an annoyance)

2767052

3. Catty/mean girls
(why is the beautiful yet bitchy girl still a trope -___-)

6482837

4. Romance-heavy
(I have my ships, but when the romance takes precedence over THE END OF THE WORLD I'm pissed)

27774758

5. Purple prose
(some people can pull it off - Laini Taylor, Jay Kristoff - and some just can't)

16143347

6. Unbearable levels of male gaze

(this is directed at you, male authors of SFF who write hyper-sexualized female characters)
(Also I know I'm gonna get some flak for my example, but as much as I admire the worldbuilding and the subtlety and AURI I'm sorry just way too much objectification in this series)

186074

7. Stereotypes of POC (especially Asians, because I am one...)
(ahem hem token nerdy Asian best friend)

12232938

8. Characters I don't relate to
(nothing concrete here, but if I don't at least like the characters I have a really hard time staying invested in a book)

25489134



I didn't quite get to 10 things, but I think that's fine. This post was frankly kind of depressing to write, just thinking about all the books I didn't like in the past few years. Thankfully I've gotten really good at figuring out if I'll like a book by the blurb and a few friends' reviews, so I haven't read too many books I didn't like recently!


blog signature photo 4bf1c374-231a-40b6-8756-317f9308721c_zpsf45cae08.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Insidious Side of the Golden Milk Latte

The Supremely Fabulous Fantasy Subgenre Flowchart

Way of Kings Readalong: Wrap-up